Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Honors English 9 Adventure to Washington, D.C.! Hooray!

          Yesterday, the John Carroll Honors English 9 classes visited the Folger's Shakespeare Theater in our nation's capital.  Personally, I really enjoyed this trip.  I thought the true enjoyment of Shakespeare and his plays was really expressed by Bill's Buddies in their energy and excitement on stage.  After seeing their performance, I can say that I appreciate Shakespeare's works more than I previously did.  I thought that Bill's Buddies' performance did a wonderful job of showing everyone that Shakespeare is not really that hard to read and understand.  The techniques that they showed us on stage were really helpful in interpreting what Shakespeare actually meant when he wrote his plays.  All of Shakespeare's works are brilliant and beautiful literary works, and I think that learning how to interpret those works in a fun and enjoyable way was a great experience.  Anyway, I enjoyed the sights of D.C. while we walked to Folger's and to lunch.  The view of the capitol while we were walking back to the bus never ceases to amaze me.  It's so beautiful to see.  We ate lunch at Union Station, which was fun.  It was SO crowded, though.  My group only had one napkin, which I used to wipe the grease off of my pizza.  (The rest of the group wasn't too happy.)  So, we went to some other restaurant and asked for a napkin.  The woman informed us that we needed to pay for a napkin - great service.  After lunch, we went to Godiva for some chocolate, which was a little expensive (more like a lot).  Lindsay Kraus bought 4 truffles and it cost her $10.00.  Union Station is not cheap.  So, our trip was fun, and I thought that it was a great experience!

(Photo taken by Mrs. Zurkowski)

No comments:

Post a Comment